30 Apr 2013

Between My Thighs #3

In anticipation of Limerick's Riverfest 2013 this weekend, where he will be appearing, I dedicate this Between My Thighs to none other than:

Donal Skehan

The lovely,delectable  Donal Skehan.

This is a bit of a different Between My Thighs for me as I'm not sure how I feel about Donal, he is like the Daniel O'Donnell of the cookery world; mothers and daughters alike can't resist the allure of Donal, but it seems to me to be in a more 'ah bless, isn't he lovely' type of way rather than 'I want to rip the shirt off his back' type of way, but maybe I'm wrong.

Donal only came to my attention in the last year or so when I saw his cookery programme Kitchen Hero on RTE for the first time. To begin with I wondered how a 16 year old boy had gotten his own cookery programme, then I began to think of him as a younger, better looking Nevin Maguire and finally I discovered his true age and I began to feel a bit different. Well, I never could resist a man with prepubescent looks and oodles of boyish charm.

He has been described as Ireland's answer to Jamie Oliver, although I haven't heard any rumours of a Naked Chef remake, I think it would be a sure-fire way for RTÉ to triple their figures - just a suggestion.

Donal's first cookbook "Good Mood Food" was published in 2009 after he stared a Food Blog in 2007. His second book "Kitchen Hero" was released in 2011 along with the airing of his cookery programme of the same name. Cue obligatory collage of Donal with food.

Man Vs. Food

What I really like about Donal is his ability to take the piss out of himself. Like any good Irish man he doesn't take himself too seriously, even if he's semi-famous he can still poke fun at himself and his embarrassing childhood moments and share them with the world wide web; take this wonderful picture he posted on the blog section of his webpage for example: primary school nativity meets Darina Allen, although I can't talk, I pretended to be Darina back in the day too, it was obviously the done thing.

Ah bless!

Donal is a bit of an all rounder apparently; before he got into the cooking he was in a couple of bands. He lost out to Dustin the Turkey for Eurosong in 2008 and had some success in the Irish charts with the band Industry. Now incase you're scratching your head trying to recall the band, here's the music video featuring a slightly orange Donal, you still would though.


So he can sing, he can cook, he has a sense of humour and he's easy on the eye, what isn't there to like? Whether you want to take Donal home to your Mammy or keep him all to yourself you can't deny There's something About Donal and I for one would definitely have him B.M.T.

Update: 05/05/2013 - I thought I'd follow up after Donal's little trip to Limerick for Riverfest, where he filmed an episode of his latest show by the River Shannon. I popped along after watching my friends finish The Great Limerick Run and took a few snaps of delectable Donal to share with you. He is, as I had envisaged, as flawless in the flesh as he in on the telly. He must have used a full can of hairspray too because there wasn't a hair out of place, even when the wind picked up by the river.

Donal_Skehan_Riverfest

Donal_Skehan_Riverfest

Donal_Skehan_Riverfest

Donal_Skehan_Riverfest


* It's also apparently Donal's 27th birthday on the 3rd of June. He doesn't look a day over 17, I'm envious of his youthful looks. That's what good clean living does for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment